Tuesday, April 9, 2013

My Pregnancy with Maddie

Well, my pregnancy was definitely different this time around! It's funny, because for such a little thing, Maddie gave me so much more trouble than Layla did!

We were so excited to find out I was expecting again.  Layla had her "I'm a Big Sister" book memorized, and we couldn't wait to start planning out everything for the second baby!  As soon as we saw the ultrasound, I knew it was another girl.  I was really excited for Layla to grow up with a sister, she is such a little mommy and I know her and Maddie will have such a great time together.

Unfortunately, this pregnancy was not fun.  My entire first trimester was comprised of cramping and thirst, and second and third were basically just a whole lot of pain.  By the time I was ready to deliver, I could barely even walk because my hips were hurting so badly. 

The scariest thing happened about a week before I delivered.  At my 37 week appointment, my doctor told me that my stomach had not grown since the week before.  This can indicate low fluid, so she said that we would give it another week and then, if still no change, go in for some testing.  She also made it very clear that if there were any changes in the baby's movements, to let her know.

So, of course, Maddie's movements slowed down over that next week.  Up until that point, she was constantly kicking and moving, so much so that I never had any concerns.  Then all of a sudden, that significantly slowed.  She passed all of her kick counts, but it was definitely not her normal pattern.

So, at my 38 week appointment, I let my doctor know.  She told me that the best way they have to monitor the baby is her movements, and since they had slowed, wanted to send me to the hospital for some non-stress testing and an ultrasound to make sure everything was OK.  So off I went, freaking out, and proceeded to spend the entire day hooked up to monitors and waiting for results.  I was already having contractions at that point. The baby passed the monitoring fine, so I went over to get my ultrasound and that's when it got a bit scary for me!

For the type of testing they were doing, there are four items that the baby needs to pass in the ultrasound - movement, fluid, heartbeat, and breathing.

So the tech comes in, explains what she'll be doing, and starts the ultrasound.  Maddie passed the movement and heartbeat off the bat.  As far as breathing goes, they want to see the baby "practice" breathing (expand and contract their lungs) for 30 consecutive seconds in a 30 minute period.  Well, Maddie was just not going to do it.  The tech did everything she could think of to get Maddie to move - I drank juice, walked around, etc. but nothing worked.  So, she told me she was going to have to fail her on that part.  Basically, they really can't tell anything about the baby's lung development until they are born, but no practice breathing could be an indicator of underdeveloped lungs.  Then, the tech throws in that the fluid looks low as well.  So she was going to fail Maddie on half of the tests!  She then told me that the actual radiologist had to come in to validate her findings and left to go get him.  So there I was, on the table by myself, crying, calling Nick and scaring the heck out of him with what she had told me.

Then the radiologist came in and did his own exam.  And wouldn't you know it, right off the bat, there it is - Maddie breathing consistently, clear as day.  Then he tells me my fluid is fine as well!  I was confused and frustrated at that point - how could two people see such different results?  But the radiologist was the actual MD that specialized in these ultrasounds, so since he passed Maddie, that was the official result.  It was a terrible, confusing day and I was definitely uneasy about the whole thing.  I know it was nothing compared to what some people have gone though with pregnancy, but it definitely scared me.

So, I spoke with my doctor again, who was happy to hear that she passed.  However, she said that considering everything - the slowed movements, my pain, and the fact that I was already dilated and having contractions, it sounded like it was just time for Maddie to make her arrival.  Although an induction scared me, I agreed with her - I just wanted to make sure she was OK!  Being able to walk again sounded good as well :)

I'll do a separate delivery post soon! 



No comments:

Post a Comment